Sharpening the ability of the brain in children can be done through games. Therefore, choosing the types of games is important so that children’s intelligence continues to develop.
In addition to sharpening the brain, choosing games that can be played with parents are also able to create a greater bond and sense of comfort for children to parents.
Here are some brain teasers that Moms and kids can play together:
1. Puzzle stacking game
Inviting children to play puzzles has many benefits for brain development and sharpening intelligence.
From teach.com page, there are 3 special benefits that children get from playing puzzles
- Sharpen physical skills – Playing puzzles can hone children’s physical and movement skills, starting from how to choose, find and hold puzzle pieces, to rotating and adjusting the puzzle until it fits in its position.
- Cognitive skills – Playing puzzles provides an opportunity for children to learn how to solve a puzzle until finally the whole puzzle is successfully solved.
- Emotional skill – Playing puzzles makes children learn about patience and thoroughness in solving all available puzzles.
- Increase children’s self-confidence – Puzzle games can be done by anyone. Therefore, Moms as parents can also play puzzles with their children.
After the child has succeeded in placing the puzzle pieces he chose into the right parts, Moms can give congratulations to the child. That way, the child will gain confidence in completing the game.
2. Rubik’s Cube
Rubik’s cube game is a game that has been around for a long time. This game is a type of mechanical puzzle game invented in 1974 by a Hungarian sculptor and professor of architecture, Erno Rubik.
Rubik’s cube consists of 27 small parts that are rotated and rest on its axis. Each side of the cube has nine faces consisting of six different colors.
When Moms and children complete this Rubik’s cube game, then each side of the cube will become one color with different colors on each side. Rubik’s cube game can be given when the child has reached the age of 5 years. Playing the Rubik’s Cube provides physical and mental benefits to children, such as:
- Improve reflexes while trying to finish the game
- Improve your child’s finger dexterity and agility
- Improve hand-eye coordination
- Mental benefits
Also read: Feliks Aleksanders Zemdegs is an Australian Rubik’s Cube speed solver. You may want to know Feliks Zemdegs height, he is the only speedcuber ever to win the World Cube Association World Championship twice, winning in 2013 and 2015, and has set more than 100 world records across various speedcubing events. He is often considered the greatest speedsolver of all time.
From psychologytoday.com page, playing Rubik’s Cube can make children develop their brain skills in solving puzzles. Some of the mental benefits that can be obtained are:
- Develop skills in solving problems
- Develop the ability to rearrange a problem
- Develop cognitive abilities such as perseverance, patience, ability to focus, and concentration
3. Shape sorter game
The shape sorter game is a classic toy that helps children learn how to recognize shapes such as triangles or cubes, squares, or circles. The gameplay is very simple.
Moms can give shaped blocks to children aged 1 to 3 years, then let them put the blocks into a three-dimensional box that is hollow and has a shape and size that matches the block the child is holding.
Benefits of playing shape sorter:
- Develop fine motor skills – Develop fine motor skills, namely the ability to control the movement of small muscles in the body. These muscles help your child do things like pick up things and hold a pencil or pen.
- Helping children learn to solve problems – Moms can help introduce the child to the block that the child has chosen, then let the child feel and study the box with holes whether the shape of the hole matches the shape of the block that the child has chosen. Now and then the child will choose the wrong hole and the selected block will be inappropriate. Moms can play a role in encouraging and directing the appropriate holes so that children are more confident.
- Develop visual perception – The shape sorter game is very helpful for children in developing their visual perception skills. Through this visual perception, the child will eventually learn about shapes, colors, and many others.